Are you dreaming of studying in India? Discover the step-by-step process of obtaining an Indian Student Visa and turn your dream into reality.
India, with its rich culture, diverse landscapes, and world-class educational institutions, has become a top destination for international students. If you're aspiring to pursue your studies in this vibrant country, you'll need to secure an Indian Student Visa.
Navigating the visa application process may seem daunting, but fear not! In this comprehensive guide, we'll walk you through the process step by step, ensuring that your journey to India for education is smooth and successful.
Student visas are easily granted to people who come to India and want to study at an officially recognized educational institution. The types of study students engage in include the study of yoga, Vedic culture, and the Indian system of dance and music.
So, relax as we take you through the step-by-step procedure…
The Indian Student Visa
The Indian student visa is usually issued to all foreign students who wish to undergo an educational study or internship in one of India's higher learning institutions.
These student visas are also short-term visas that usually range from 3 months (short-term courses and internships) to 3 years (for doctoral degrees).
It allows the student to visit and stay in India for the total time duration of the educational course applied for at the Indian institution, college, or university.
The duration of the student's stay shouldn't be more than five (5) years.
Eligibility for an Indian Student Visa
Indian missions/posts grant student visas for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of studies, whichever is lower, to the following:
- For foreign students who come to India to study in India regularly and full-time.
- For foreign students who come for industrial training, summer projects, and internships.
- Temporary student visa with a validity of six months for students examining admission or taking admission tests.
- The applicant should have proof of admission to a regular full-time course at a reputable/accredited educational institution in India as well as proof of financial support.
- The applicant should also have a No Objection Certificate from the Department of Health in the event that they are accepted into a medical or paramedical course.
- Spouses and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an entry visa (not a tourist visa). The cancellation date coincides with the period of the main visa holder.
Requirements for an Indian Student Visa
India normally requires a student visa for most countries and nationals, except Bhutan, Maldives, and Nepal. These requirements specific to student visas are listed below:
- An international passport
Which must be valid for at least 6 more months and contain at least two blank pages, including a visa page. The applicant is expected to make a photocopy of the bio-data page of their international passport.
- Two plain white background passport-size photographs of the size 50 mm X 50 mm (2-inch x 2 inches).
- Completed visa application form
correctly filled and duly signed by the applicant.
- Offer letter from the host institution
indicating that the applicant has been admitted into the institution for a particular program.
For students not yet accepted to a school in India, A three-month provisional visa is available for students who have applied but are yet to receive an admission offer from the school.
In this case, a letter from the host institution confirming that the student has applied is necessary to obtain a provisional visa and the admission has to be finalized within the 3-months validity period of the provisional visa.
- Proof of financial support adequate to cover the applicant's tuition and living expenses in India. This document must be obtained from the applicant's parents or guardian, including a government-issued ID card and a certified bank account statement of the last three months issued by the parents/guardian's bank in his/her name.
- In the case of scholarships, fellowships, or any other means of sponsorship, a letter of financial consent is properly addressed, stamped, and signed by the sponsor.
- Contact Details
The student or applicant must provide their own contact details including the contact address, phone number, and e-mail address.
It is also important to note that the visa application will be refused if any of this information is found to be false, so make sure that all information is accurate.
- Other supporting documents (necessary for the application): Copies of the applicant's previous educational qualification such as high school certificate, undergraduate transcripts, diploma, etc., the Applicant's birth certificate, and vaccination certificates where applicable.
India does not require proof of insurance for a student visa. However, it is advisable that students should still purchase health insurance to keep them protected.
Indian Student Visa Cost
As you are applying for an India Student student visa, it's important to know that it is usually a multiple-entry visa for the student's period of study.
US citizens can expect to pay $108 for a one-year visa. EU citizens pay $88 for a one-year visa.
For Nigerians, you can expect to make a visa fee payment of $252.00 including a surcharge of $2.00. It is important to note that these fees are subject to change and are non-refundable.
Applying for an Indian Student VISA (Step by Step)
The visa application process includes five different stages, and they are as follows;
- Log on to the Website to fill out your online visa application form and print out the form after you have completed and cross-checked for errors. It is important for you to be sincere, transparent, and honest while filling out the form to avoid being denied your visa.
- Proceed to make your India student visa application fee payment at the Indian High Commission in your country. In Nigeria for instance, payment is only accepted at the Sterling Bank counter in the Indian High Commission premises in Abuja or Lagos (for Nigerians).
- Submit your signed application form and all other required supporting documents to the consular officer at the Indian High Commission in your country.
- Attend your visa interview and provide extra documentation if needed. You are advised to be as calm and honest as possible during the interview process.
- Proceed to where you will be issued your visa from the Indian High Commission
Visa application submissions are usually between 10:00 AM to 12:00 AM on all working days. So, we advise that you check the embassy websites of your countries to know the exact time.
Submitting Your Application
Once you have all the required documents, submit your visa application to the nearest Indian embassy or consulate in your home country.
It's advisable to apply well in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.
Attend an Interview
In some cases, you may be required to attend an interview at the Indian embassy or consulate.
Be prepared to answer questions about your course, institution, and financial stability.
Visa Approval and Duration
If your application is approved, you will receive an Indian Student Visa. The duration of the visa will depend on the length of your course.
Ensure you understand the visa's validity and any renewal requirements.
Can I work while studying in India?
Yes, you can work part-time while studying in India, provided you obtain the necessary permissions from both your educational institution and the Indian government.
Is there an age limit for applying for an Indian Student Visa?
No, there is no specific age limit for obtaining an Indian Student Visa. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria and are accepted into a recognized institution, you can apply.
Can I bring my dependents with me on my Indian Student Visa?
Yes, you can bring your spouse and children as dependents. They will need to apply for an Indian Dependent Visa.
What should I do if my visa application is rejected?
If your visa application is rejected, you may reapply after addressing the issues that led to the rejection.
Alternatively, you can seek assistance from the Indian embassy or consulate for guidance.
Is it necessary to get a health insurance policy while studying in India?
While not mandatory, it's highly recommended to have health insurance coverage during your stay in India.
Medical emergencies can be expensive, and insurance provides peace of mind.
READ ALSO: How to Get Student Visa in Thailand
Obtaining an Indian Student Visa is a vital step in realizing your academic aspirations in this culturally diverse and academically rich nation.
By following the guidelines outlined in this comprehensive guide, you'll be well-prepared to embark on your educational journey in India.
Remember, thorough preparation is the key to success, and with determination and the right documentation, you can make your dream of studying in India a reality.
Thank you for reading our article today! Please remember to share this article on social media to help others benefit too. It also helps us improve our algorithm and relevance to the public. Thanks for Sharing!!! Follow us on Socials: Facebook - LinkedIn - Twitter